Monday, August 27, 2007

Alan Ball: electricity in the air

[Ricky Fitts talking to his girlfriend, showing home video]

You want to see the most beautiful thing I've ever filmed?

It was one of those days
Where it's a minute away from snowing
There was this electricity in the air
You can almost hear it

And this bag was just ...
Dancing with me
Like a little kid begging me to play with it
... for fifteen minutes

That's the day I realized
There's this entire life behind things
And this incredibly benevolent Force
That wanted me to know
There's no reason to be afraid, ever

Video is a poor excuse, I know
But it helps me to remember

I need to remember

Sometimes there's so much ... beauty in the world
I feel like I can't take it ... and my heart
Is just going to ... cave in



American Beauty (1999)
Directed: Sam Mendes
Written: Alan Ball
Acted: Wes Bentley (his listener: Thora Birch)